It's been a chaotic couple of months. I've moved from Hastings to Coventry and have set up all my equipment in what we like to call the study. Except we don't really call it the study. We call it "upstairs". You know when you start to call something by a name with the best intentions of continuing to call it by that name and then don't. Well, that's happened with the study. "Are you coming upstairs?" Not "are you coming up to the study?" We should call it the study, but I think we both think it a little too pretentious to do so. Never mind. But yes, here we are, in Coventry and I've finished a new album. I keep saying it's my fifteenth album, but actually, before I left Hastings, I finished an album of slightly longer, more cinematic music that I'm not sure whether to release at all. That album, which has a name and even album art, may see the light of day at some point, but I'm just not sure about it. I like bits of it, but perhaps it needs more work.
The good news is that this is happening. This summer, I shall be releasing a new album (the one I tout as my fifteenth) and I'm really quite taken with it. Stems have been sent to remixers for them to work their magic on the singles and I can't wait to hear what they do with the tracks. The way this album works is somewhat different. Because I usually write and produce fourteen tracks (enough for a twelve-track album and two B-sides) and then do another B-side later on, I found that sometimes I produce a cracking B-side that should have been on the album, I decided, this time around not only to write enough tracks for a twelve-track album and three B-sides, but to give the album more scope, to write and produce eighteen tracks. This means you'll get two B-sides per single and the album is more rounded. If that makes sense. It does to me, at the very least.